About Us

The Teenager's Book Club is a place to find a good book to read. You know how hard it is to find a good book. Well, all the books on the sight are books I've read and or reading. Some are good and others are not so good. My friends have also read most of the books. That's why I decided to start a book club. Because at my school we share books, well not literally share them,but one person will read a book and if it's good they will tell someone else to read it. That is basically the goal of this Book Club.

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Speak




I just read this book today, and I mean literally I read it in one day. It was a good read though even if it didn't take long. I definitely recommend it! Mostly its just about this girl's struggle through her high school freshman year. It;s not like action packed or anything but it was better than I expected it to be. It does include rape but the details aren't explicit or anything.


Review/Description

"This is a story about silence--the causes and effects, the costs and benefits, but mostly the breaching of it. Late summer before her freshman year in high school, Melinda calls 911 ending a party and becoming a pariah. The first day of class a few weeks later, she is left to talk with Heather, a new girl, while everyone else snickers or ignores her. Melinda's parents are not getting along, Heather deserts her for the Martha's, girls who dress, act, and try to think as one, and it appears in Melinda's dreams and around every corner. When day-to-day existence becomes too much to bear she takes refuge in a janitor's closet, to which she adds some posters and a comforter. But even there she's not safe from Andy Evans, the boy who raped her at the party and who is now dating the girl who used to be her best friend. Anderson provides the reader with hints of what happened at the party throughout the text, as Melinda attempts to break her silence and explain why she had to call 911."


2 comments:

The Awesome Dork said...

i want to read it!

Pleasant_Nightmare said...

I read it in a little over a day too...I just did not want to put it down...It's wonderful. I love the whole tree thing too...It just added so much to the story.