About Us

The Teenager's Book Club is a place to find a good book to read. You know how hard it is to find a good book. Well, all the books on the sight are books I've read and or reading. Some are good and others are not so good. My friends have also read most of the books. That's why I decided to start a book club. Because at my school we share books, well not literally share them,but one person will read a book and if it's good they will tell someone else to read it. That is basically the goal of this Book Club.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Anne of Green Gables






This was a quaint book. A nice change from the usual sad, depressing, vampire books I read. It was full of detailed descriptions of scenery. Anne's story is heartwarming and will interest everyone who reads it. The second book wasn't as good, semi boring in fact. There are around seven books in the series which I eventually hope to finish reading some day. It ws a true classic and even made me want to visit Prince-Edward Island.



Review/Description
The way in which LM Montgomery portrayed the character of Anne within the novel was the literary equivalent of a large slice of chocolate fudge cake. Without being too large or overly sweet, it was delicious in its warmth. It was not unusual for Anne to begin a speech that would eventually last for two or even three pages. Far from being dull or tedious however, I found myself being drawn in to Anne's vivid world of fun and eccentricity. All too often in children's books central characters are two-dimensional or lacking a certain oomph necessary to bring the story to life. This book is quite the opposite. It is true that the other characters had great difficulty getting a word in edgewise when Anne launched into one of her frequent monologues, but still I felt a longing to have had a friend like her during my own childhood. I think a lot of readers (particularly children) would easily be able to relate to Anne, as the awe and enchantment she feels towards her surroundings is a pleasure to behold, and her tendency to rename the landmarks around her home is captivating (the dull-sounding `Barry's Pond' for example, becomes `The Lake of Shining Waters'). Anne has a habit of looking at the romantic aspects of her life and exaggerating them beautifully. Another feature of the book I enjoyed enormously was the humour value the author introduced into situations: "Anne, are you killed?" shrieked Diana. "No Diana, I am not killed but I think I am rendered unconscious." A lot of entertainment comes from Anne's loathing of her classmate Gilbert, the origin of such bad feeling stemmed from the time he took advantage of our heroines insecurity about her long red locks, and addressed her as `Carrots.' I felt that too many characters were introduced as Anne's school friends however, and it was often difficult to distinguish between the personalities of Jane, Josie, Ruby and Diana. Nevertheless, this was more than made up for by Anne's individuality, which as I mentioned previously is exceptionally warm-hearted.

1 comment:

The Awesome Dork said...

i wonder who told you to read that?