About Us

The Teenager's Book Club is a place to find a good book to read. You know how hard it is to find a good book. Well, all the books on the sight are books I've read and or reading. Some are good and others are not so good. My friends have also read most of the books. That's why I decided to start a book club. Because at my school we share books, well not literally share them,but one person will read a book and if it's good they will tell someone else to read it. That is basically the goal of this Book Club.

Monday, March 17, 2008

Head Above Water


This book really surprised me. i ended up really liking it. I think it was the only book I've ever actually cried in the end and not because it was sad ,but because it was so touching. The story is about a girl who has to deal with her life and trying to take care of her older brother Sunny who has downsyndrome. In the end she realizes that her life is better off with Sunny in it even though he's hard to deal with sometimes.

Review/Description
A high school junior from a single-parent home, is largely responsible for the care of her older brother Sunny, who has Down's syndrome. She strives to maintain a straight-A average in her schoolwork and is determined to qualify for "States," the statewide swim competition. When the school's football star, Mike Banner, deems her worthy to date, Skye's already complex world becomes almost overwhelming. Responding to pressure from him to spend more time together, she ditches her brother and uses her newfound freedom to meet with her boyfriend. Predictably, he pressures her into sex and finally forces himself on her. She narrowly escapes, but the angry boyfriend continues to badger her and the confrontation between the two ultimately costs her the opportunity to go to States. In the end, Skye begins to mature and to think for herself. Unfortunately, the conclusion is a little too neat. Although the protagonist faces myriad problems, they are all resolved happily.

1 comment:

Pleasant_Nightmare said...

I finally finished!!! I did not like the way the book was written. It was just a very plain, basic writing style. The story line was fabulous though. I read the end and was like "OMG...A happy ending..." I hadn't read an actual happy ending book in a long time! But yeah, it's touching. Dunno if I'd reccomend (can't spell today :P) it or not.